It’s no secret that meat is hard to come by these days even with many stores setting limits on how much you can buy. So, I’m excited to share this super flavorful and hearty meatless meal that you can make as a main dish or as a side dish to something else.
We’ve always loved regular fried rice, and we’re especially smitten with this “wild” version that features wild (whole grain) rice and wild (shiitake) mushrooms. It’s so good that you won’t even notice the meat is missing!
Ingredients to Make Wild Fried Rice
- Coconut oil – If you’re new to coconut oil check out how to cook with it here.
- Shiitake mushrooms – Stems removed and sliced.
- Grated fresh ginger – 2 teaspoons.
- Garlic cloves – Minced.
- Red pepper flakes – 1 big pinch + more to taste.
- Whole grain wild rice blend – 3 cups cooked (from 1 cup uncooked).
- Soy sauce – 3 tablespoons.
- Rice vinegar – A staple in Asian cooking.
- Toasted sesame oil – Be sure it’s toasted.
- Honey – Natural sweetener.
- Eggs – If you can’t get them from a farmers’ market check out what to look for here.
- Kale – Large stems removed and chopped.
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon.
How to Make Wild Fried Rice
- Cook: In a large wok (or skillet) melt 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil over high heat. Cook the mushrooms until nicely browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside.
- Stir: Add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan and stir in the ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes just until fragrant, about 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in the cooked rice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and honey until the rice is heated through.
- Add: Move the rice mixture over to one side of the pan and stir in the beaten eggs until cooked all the way through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped kale, just until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and additional pepper (if desired), and serve warm.
Other Asian Inspired Dishes You Might Enjoy
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but 100 Days of Real Food will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us spread our message!