There are so many benefits to stretching. It is an important part of living a long and healthy life. You may be wondering why flexibility is so important and such an essential part of your fitness routine. Read the top reasons why below.
The Benefits of Stretching
- Decreases muscle stiffness and increases range of motion.
- May reduce your risk of injury.
- Helps relieve post-exercise aches and pains.
- Improves posture.
- Helps reduce or manage stress. Well-stretched muscles hold less tension and, therefore, can help you feel less stressed.
- Reduces muscular tension and enhances muscular relaxation.
- Improves mechanical efficiency and overall functional performance. Because a flexible joint requires less energy to move through a wider range of motion, a flexible body improves overall performance by creating more energy-efficient movements.
- Prepares the body for the stress of exercise. Stretching prior to exercise allows your muscles to loosen up and become better able to withstand the impact of the activity you choose to do.
- Promotes circulation. Stretching increases blood supply to your muscles and joints, which allows for greater nutrient transportation and improves the circulation of blood through your entire body.
- Decreases the risk of low-back pain. Flexibility in the hamstrings, hip flexors and muscles attached to the pelvis relieves stress on the lumbar spine, which in turn reduces your risk of low-back pain.
Stretches to Help with Flexibility
Now that you’ve read all about the benefits of flexibility, it’s time to get in a stretch. We’ve designed a series of stretches to help you. Try our most popular stretch below!
<h3 style="margin-top:50px">Try a free full body stretch from Sworkit</h3> <div class="iframe-workout-container" style="--aspect-ratio: 16/9;"> <iframe src="https://app.sworkit.com/collections/custom/-LyC1onfs97cPccl8Dab/player/5" width="800" height="450" frameborder="0"> </iframe> </div>